City life has almost become the “norm” in the 20th century. The sound of sirens waking you up in the early morning, planes and trains and cars creating constant noise and commotion; even our homes aren’t an escape from all of the craziness out there anymore. Even if you can escape the constant annoying noise of busy city life – more than likely your still surrounded by noise you may not think about in your home. Whether its the high pitched buzz of the TV, the microwaves from the kitchen or the electromagnetic frequencies coming from your cells phone and other devices, our bodies and brains are under CONSTANT stimulation.
No wonder when we lay down to try and get some sleep its hard for us to crash, even when we’ve spent the whole day working hard and are physically and mentally drained. Drained so far that we spend no time doing things for ourselves. A lot of society today spends so much time working and being over stimulated by city life, technology and everything else around us that when it comes time to take care of ourselves, they don’t even know what that means anymore.
In order to create a life where we feel happy, accomplished, fulfilled and content – we need to spend time working on ourselves. Spending every waking moment making money to buy the next expensive thing WILL NOT.. I repeat, WILL NOT make you happy. These “materialistic” items create short lived happiness and leave people wondering, “Hum, I have all these awesome things and still I feel depressed. What is happiness?”
This is because happiness is found WITHIN ourselves. Its found OUT in nature away from all the noise and stimulation. Its found WITHIN our hearts, and our hearts are best filled with love, beauty, and the astounding natural world around us.
Here’s a small list of things I do to help keep me sane in a world that drives most of us insane. Doing even just ONE of these things a day can help our minds relax and recharge… Stress, pain, depression, and all the other disease in the world can melt away – if even for a moment.
- Get OUTSIDE – Whether it’s on your apartment balcony, in your backyard, or taking a walk with the dog around the block; nature is the best medicine around. Although stepping outside for a few minutes is more beneficial then sitting inside watching TV all day, I suggest taking it a step further. Find a favorite hiking trail and visit it frequently, or a park close by where you can sit on a bench and listen to the birds fly by. Drive up into the hills away from all the noise and read a book in silence, where only the wind blows and the trees sing. Feel the sun on your face and the breeze through your hair; sending all your stress away with the wind. I suggest 20+ minutes of this at least 4 times a week… If not everyday. Trust me, its worth it.
- Turn OFF your phone – Cell phones and laptops and most other electronics emit electromagnetic frequencies; and although we can’t see or hear them on a daily basis they have a major effect on each and every cell in our body. Ever wonder why when you go to bed theres a constant buzzing or humming in your ear? You may have tinnitus or you may have gone to an awesome concert that night, but if not.. Why is there still a buzzing? Its because our brain and bodies FEEL these frequencies 24-7 and it creates a constant stimulation. So – spend some time in the quite. Turn off the TV and phone and laptops for an hour and read a book, do some yoga, or even just sit there and think. You would be amazing how much more clear your thoughts are when there are less frequencies flying through the air. Heck, I would even say after 7 or 8 pm, turn them all of completely and let your mind begin to wind down; stop spending hours on Facebook before you sleep… This helps your brain never get a restful nights sleep.
- Eat ACTUAL food – This goes back to the age old saying “You are what you eat.” And if you don’t believe it yet, you will one day. Do your best to eat a healthy breakfast and start your day off right with a glass of lemon water and some organic green tea. Spend 10-15 minutes in the morning preparing some organic eggs, avocado, tomatoes with lots of spices loaded on top and notice how great you feel compared to that Mcdonald’s Sausage egg toxin combo. Don’t have time? BULLSHIT. Stop spending 3 hours on hair and makeup and EAT, relax, and ease into your morning. The Mcdonald’s drive through line will take 10 minutes pretty easily anyways, so why not do it at home and save yourself a couple bucks. Eating right is essential to our bodies, without nutrients we become deficient, depressed and diseased… Sounds fun right?
- Give Gratitude and not HATE – When you find more time to slow down during the day, its easier to appreciate the smaller things in life like a delicious and nutritious breakfast. When you actually get a restful nights sleep its easier to wake up with a smile on your face and think, “yay! Another day!” Try to approach everything with an appreciative mindset, and life gets THAT much better. Be thankful for the kind person who lets you merge into traffic and forget the asshole who cuts you off. Send them with love and light and be thankful you aren’t feeding into that energy. When you spend your day smiling instead of grumbling about everything you feel happy and more content. YOU are in control of your life… If your not spending everyday doing something that makes you smile, CHANGE IT and APPRECIATE IT… Love is everything – and if you aren’t spending your days in love… Well, you just don’t get it yet then.
- Love is ALL – so spend each and every moment of everyday loving yourself, your life, others around you, and this wonderful experience that we are lucky enough to have. There was such a small chance of you being born, but you were – most likely because of love. If the world learned to live in love instead of greed and hate, there would be no wars or hunger and many other world problems would be solved.. If more people lived in LOVE.
These are 5 simple principles to add into your daily life to make it THAT much better. Other things to do are learn something new, use your creative side, smile at a frowning person, do a cartwheel or be silly and LAUGH….
If you find yourself in a position where these things seem hard or out of reach… CHANGE YOUR POSITION. Only YOU are responsible for your life… So what do you chose? A life of stress and depression and sickness… Or a life of fulfillment, love, and true happiness?
What do YOU choose?